Friday, November 2, 2007

Frugal Friday - Bananas


We eat a lot of bananas here, of course.

Occasionally the monkeys seem to go off them for a couple of days and they start to go brown and spotty.

They are sweet and delicious (and much more fattening!) then but do need to be dealt with quickly before the fruit flies arrive.

My frugal tip is to peel the bananas, wrap them in cling film and freeze them. Eat them frozen and they taste better than any banana ice-cream, just wonderful. This doesn't work with those tiny baby bananas - they have a strange consistency when frozen and aren't good.

If I don't have time to peel and wrap, I just put all the bananas in a freezer bag and freeze. I defrost them (in a large bowl - to prevent gunk getting all over the fridge) when I want to make banana bread and treat them like fresh bananas. They look absolutely dreadful but are fine for baking.
Our favourite is Delia's banana and walnut loaf. I buy reduced brown bananas whenever I see them just for this recipe and walnuts are a must for my cupboard.

Mmmm... my mouth is watering already.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I never thought of freezing them and eating them frozen. I'll have to try that someday.. I bet the kids would love it!

Also, Thank you for the Birthday gift ideas!! She has a couple balls already, but I bet she would LOVE the bead necklace! :)